What Can You Do If You're Involved In A Ride Share Accident?
You hear about the convenience of taking rideshare, such as Lyft and Uber, every day. You expect a professional to pick you up and take you where you need to go. Many people rely on other drivers to transport them when intoxicated or otherwise unable to safely operate a vehicle. Therefore, what do you do if your driver is involved in an accident? It is essential to understand the next steps you should take to be compensated for any injuries you sustain, whether you are a passenger or another driver on the road.
Whether you were riding in the car with the Lyft or Uber driver or were another driver, you are a victim in the accident. You may have medical expenses or property damage that needs to be covered. An experienced lawyer should be contacted in either case, but there are a few things you can do to strengthen your case.
Uber and Lyft inform their drivers to contact police and medics while ensuring that everyone is okay. However, they are out to protect their company and image. While they will reach out to you, it is advised that you do not divulge much information to them without talking to your lawyer. However, this does not mean that you should not listen to what information and solutions they offer. Just remember that your lawyer will always be on your side and ensure that your needs are fully compensated.
You and your lawyer will need to collect the following information about your case:
- Information from the rideshare driver (regardless of if you were a passenger or the other driver)
- Other driver information (if a passenger of the rideshare)
- Insurance information from both drivers (you only need the rideshare driver's insurance information if you were the other driver)
- Vehicle information of all vehicles involved
- Information from any witnesses (contact information)
- Photograph the vehicular damage and accident site
- Your recollection of the accident
- Information from the emergency responders and a copy of the police report.
To receive compensation, you need to prove who was at fault for the accident. Lyft and Uber both have an insurance plan for their drivers while on the clock. However, it may not be enough to cover all of your injuries, loss of work, and property damage. Contacting an auto accident lawyer that specializes in rideshare incidents will be your best asset to receiving ample compensation. They will analyze your case and the laws in your area to determine what you are entitled to receive. Do not sign any agreements or settlements until you have the case reviewed. Once negotiations have ended, you will be unable to receive more money.
Contact a car accident lawyer to get more advice about your case.